Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Weighty Issues

The scale holds heavy meaning for many of us in determining what kind of day we have and how we feel about ourselves. I know I have a love hate relationship with it. I spent many years loathing my body. Wishing I was taller, thinner, better this, better that and it never ends. That tiny seed that is planted into our heads has a way of growing and morphing into an all consuming thing.

A place of everything and everything in it's place.

The scale does serve as a tool to measure success on one level but doesnt read the whole picture.I am sitting about 10-12 pounds heavier than I wish to be. After I had my second daughter I have struggled to get back there. But that is not the WHOLE picture of health, a meer number on the scale.





My body is doing things I never thought it would do. I am running faster and farther than ever before and I am stronger than ever before. I am honoring my body by feeding it healthy and wholesome food. I am ignoring those little voices that tell me lies. This body has birthed two children, run many a race, lifted many a weight and I refuse to believe that I should do anything but honor the one body I was given. I have two little girls who look up to me and watch my every move, listen to my every word. If for nothing more than that I want to honor my body so that my girls will grow up and have a good self image of themselves, something I dearly wish I had.

So I choose to focus on what my body can do and appreciate it for all it has done for me. Yes I have goals, yes I want to improve myself, yes I would like to get back to where I felt was my "happy weight". I refuse to let it become the self consuming negative talk that manifests once we allow it in.






How are you honoring your body? What are some of the things you do to set examples for your children? Do you use positive mantras?










No comments:

Post a Comment